One day after our CEO, Lee Marshall and our Chair, Carole Taylor were attending the final event of the year for our 2018 scholars they had their heads down and were assessing the intake for 2019. From a tour of a Manchester lamp and battery recycling plant followed by a roundtable discussion on how we increase the capture of small WEEE with last year's REPIC scholars, it was straight back to their various offices to start looking in detail at the applications for the 2019 intake.It was a long job - we had a great many applications - more than we'd anticipated, but our three assessors were up to it; and knuckled down to the task - which is both a pleasant and an unpleasant one. On the one hand it's great to see people who are a little bit newer to the industry being really enthusiasitc about their jobs, and thinking how the conference could help them progress. But it is difficult when all the marks are in to see that there is a divide between those who are lucky and those who aren't so lucky, especially when you know they are all worthy winners.
So, the message is, if you didn't get through, and if you still meet the criteria next year, then do try again. Finally, thank you to all who applied and congratulations to those who are to be the 2019 LARAC Scholars - we look forward to meeting you all in Birmingham in October.
The people who made it through this year are:
- William Chambers Suffolk County Council
- Emma Datta Chesterfield Borough Council
- Luke Ellis London Borough of Lewisham
- Nam Tran London Borough of Hackney
- Lee Rossi Wyre Borough Council
- Liz Ellis Cumbria County Council
- Liam McGill Fife Council
- Bill Byfield Oxford City Council
- Jas Bhamra Surrey County Council
- Elizabeth Turner Teignbridge District Council
- Anastasia Jeune Dorset Council
- Gareth Pettit Caephilly County Borough
- Barry Williams WLGA
- Christopher Bain Dudley Metropolitan Borough
- Lee Johnson Staffordshire County Council
- Laura Daniel Hull City Council
- Sara Hemming NE Lincolnshire
- Karen Wynn South Tyne & Wear WP
Take a look at the scholarship page and see how former scholars view their scholarship experience.