Waste Minimisation and Sustainability Officer – The Role:
Are you passionate about the environment and recycling and have strong reporting writing skills and experience of working in waste minimisation together with an educational background in environmental sciences?
We have a great opportunity to join Braintree District Council to lead the waste minimisation team and to focus on tackling climate change and encourage residents to minimise waste and maximise opportunities in the circular economy.
You will manage a small team providing a high standard of operational, administrative and technical support relating to climate change and waste management across the District
The climate crisis is one of the most significant issues to face our society, our environment and the planet. We have seen a rapid global rise in greenhouse gas emissions over the last 100 years and a trend towards increasing global average temperatures over the last century.
We declared a Climate Change Emergency in July 2019 and announced a target to be carbon neutral as a Council as far as practical by 2030, as well as supporting our communities to reduce the impacts of climate change across the Braintree District.
Waste Minimisation and Sustainability Officer – You:
- HNC/HND in Environmental sciences or relevant experience
- Experience of managing a team
- Report writing experience and experience of researching, analysing, interpreting and presenting data
- A good understanding of Waste Minimisation with a proven record of implementing plans to achieve reductions in domestic and commercial waste.
- An awareness of the challenges and barriers to recycling
- Experience in producing, implementing and embedding policies and strategies linked to sustainability and carbon reduction.
- Experience in implementing waste minimisation, environmental and climate change projects/initiatives.
- A good knowledge of climate change and environmental planning policy matters including how to deliver carbon emission reductions and monitor progress.
- You will be able to influence and inspire climate action and results
- Good Project Management skills
- You must have proven customer service experience and be able to persuade residents to change behaviours in order to minimise their waste and to prevent associated environmental problems,
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills including the delivery of PowerPoint presentations to a range of audiences from school children to senior management.
- Strong administration skills and IT skills
The role will require you to be flexible with your hours which could occasionally start at 6.30am when liaising with the refuse and recycling crews. Occasional evening and weekend working may also be required in this role in order to attend evening meetings/talks and weekend events
Waste Minimisation and Sustainability Officer – Benefits:
- - Hybrid working arrangements available working partly in the office and part remotely
- - Competitive pay and benefits
- - Flexible working
- - Free parking
- - Local government pension scheme
- - Learning and development for all staff
- - Staff discounts at local businesses
- - Staff recognition schemes
- - Extensive health and wellbeing programme including discounted gym membership
- - Employee assistance programme
Why choose Braintree District Council?
Braintree is an ambitious and dynamic Council and is becoming one of the fastest growing Districts in the East of England with three growing towns, London just 45 minutes away and the district located directly between the international transport centres of Stansted Airport and Harwich and Felixstowe International Ports. We have a deserved track record for delivering and a strong reputation within the business community.
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach which is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.