Lancashire County Council acts as the waste disposal authority for twelve district councils and one unitary responsible for collecting waste and recycling. This amounts to a lot of material for the county to dispose of and to recycle. One way to reduce the overall amount of waste is through promoting reuse. It is in the area of reuse that the county is keen to expand activity, particularly through its sixteen recycling centres. As an active member of the Service Development Team, the successful candidate will play a lead role in taking this agenda forwards. Building on the two existing reuse shops and the award winning social store to further increase sustainable reuse activity across the county.
This is a permanent full time post and a fantastic opportunity to add significant environmental and economic value to the county.
Expected activities include :
- Increase and integrate reuse into waste management by understanding reuse, its benefits and its place in the waste hierarchy, and in the LCC waste management service; working collaboratively with staff to deliver reuse projects.
- Develop new reuse shops at HWRCs. Bringing both your experience in a sales environment and an understanding of health and safety and associated issues regarding waste sites.
- Coordinate and develop the social store, a service providing free essential pre-loved items to families in need.
Skills required include -
- An innovator who is self-motivated, able to make an impact and drive forward an agenda.
- Good communication, including social media for an online presence as well as effective verbally and written correspondence with colleagues, partners and outside bodies.
- Ability to tightly monitor and report on reuse activities and to plan, deliver and manage complex projects.
- To be able to act as an effective networker forging relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, as well as an excellent team player plugged directly into waste services operations.
For an informal talk about the role you can ring the Service Development Manager, William Maxwell on (01772) 538961
You will be required to provide a car for use in connection with the duties of this post and must be insured for business use. However, we may consider you if you cannot drive because of a disability.
- Minimum Salary: &28,785
- Maximum Salary: £32,878
- Pay Basis: Yearly
- Schedule Type: Full Time
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours: 37
- Closing Date: Jan 17, 2020