An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Tewkesbury Borough Council to primarily lead on the management of a new, small team of waste officers who manage and monitor our contracts with our waste partners. These are mainly with our waste and recycling service partners Ubico (a local authority owned Teckal company), who also deliver a range of other environmental services for us, our MRF contract and a number of smaller, important but ancillary contracts.
You will report to the Head of Community Services and be responsible for the management of a small team.
We work closely with our other local authority partners in Gloucestershire, so, you will be adept at partnership working and quick to develop relationships with other partners. You will also be a key part in further developing our commercial waste and recycling service for businesses in Tewkesbury Borough.
You will need:
- Excellent knowledge and extensive experience of managing local authority waste management contracts (collection and processing in particular).
- Proven contract management experience, with familiarity with all aspects of local authority commissioning and procuring of contracts.
- Significant experience of addressing operational issues and applying a strategic and risk based solution for future proofing.
- Degree educate in a relevant subject – Waste Policy / Environmental Management or equivalent and be able to demonstrate Professional development (e.g. chartered status of CIWM or Environmental Management).
- To be enthusiastic and driven, with a proven track record in project management.
- To be open-minded and business focused, with an organised and analytical approach to your work, including close attention to detail while working to tight deadlines.
- To be a great team player with excellent IT, data analysis/management, problem solving and communication skills.
In return we offer:
- Friendly and flexible work environment
- Training opportunities
- Attractive salaries with annual incremental rises
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous holiday allowance (which increases after 5 years’ and 10 years’ service)
- Family friendly policies
- Free onsite parking
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a small but progressive authority whilst being in a part of the world that offers excellent quality of life.
If this opening excites you, and you believe you meet our criteria (as outlined in the Person Specification), we look forward to receiving your application!
If you would like an informal conversation about this opportunity then please contact Peter Tonge, Head of Community Services, on 01684 272259.
- Closing Date: Wednesday, 8 April 2021
- Proposed Interview Date: TBC