Would you like to be a part of The London Borough of Hounslow, whose diverse workforce are committed to making a positive difference for our residents and visitors by ensuring the quality of our services are maintained to a high standard?
The Council is embarking upon a major programme of change to modernise the way we work and reduce our carbon footprint. We’ve moved to Hounslow House, a new landmark building located in Hounslow town centre, our new technology will enable staff to work remotely and flexibly to improve the service we provide to residents and to help our staff achieve a better work/life balance.
About the Team
Environmental Services are looking for a highly motivated individual to implement and monitor the councils strategic and corporate programmes for Waste and Recycling and a Cleaner Greener borough.
The team is dedicated to meet the needs of the Borough now and in the future, developing initiatives and implementing policies to help our residents reduce their waste and increase recycling, and achieve the targets set out in the London Environmental Strategy through our Reduction and Recycling Plan.
Making Hounslow Cleaner and Greener; a place where our residents enjoy working, living and visiting, is a key priority for us as a Council. As part of the Cleaner, Greener Hounslow campaign, our team is responsible for delivering the principals and actions towards achieving our goals.
You will need to have a keen interest in the environment, experience of working in and knowledge of the waste and recycling industry.
You will need to have experience of Contract Management, managing projects and staff, an excellent understanding of data and performance analysis including waste data flow and a good knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation. You will be an effective manager, able to delegate tasks and ensure that service plan objectives and milestones are achieved within set timescales and budgets.
The position will have a key role in improving the recycling rate for our high-rise flats properties and expanding the communal food waste service.
You will be responsible for managing a team of Senior Contract Support Officers and Contract Monitoring Officers out in the field.
London Borough of Hounslow offers a range of employee benefits to staff, including employee pension scheme and discounts for a variety of leisure facilities.
- To work effectively as part of the Council’s Environment, Culture and Customer services department, delivering corporate objectives and priorities through the work of the department.
- To work as part of multi-disciplinary teams, pro-actively breaking down service and organisational barriers to improve efficiency and service quality and promoting affordable ways of tackling local problems that meet the needs of our community and are accessible to all.
- To work with the Head of Waste and Recycling to deliver the reduction and recycling plan targets that contribute to the London Environment Strategy and to deliver the Councils aims to reduce waste arisings and maximise recycling.
- To raise performance and productivity by contributing to a culture of continuous improvement and efficiency.
- A good level of reasoning, analysis and decision-making skills. Able to interpret and apply complex policy and procedural guidance and determine appropriate approaches.
- High level of skill in written communication, able to undertake investigations relating to statutory issues, prepare reports for multi-disciplinary panels and present statistical and other information clearly to members of the public, elected members, senior officers, committees and panels.
- Ability to prioritise, plan, organise and monitor work and manage and motivate staff and delivery partners
- Ability to act with authority as a representative of the Council to residents, businesses, partners and members of the public. To be able to support briefings to senior management and Councillors
Essential for The Role
- A least 3 years’ experience in contract management and or waste and recycling management.
- Must have a driving licence valid in the UK
This post is considered by the authority to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The council therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the employee specification.
To view the Hounslow Employee Benefits, click HERE.
Interviews will be held during week commencing: 7th October 2020.