Team Leader - Waste Management (Perm x2, Temp x3 with end date of 31/03/2020)
Enjoy a challenge? Like working with people? Want to help deliver a vital service that reaches every household in Leeds? Able to work shifts and want a good salary package with a generous amount of leave/time off? If you do – this could be the job for you…
What we do:
The attention and interest on how we collect, recycle and dispose of household waste has never been greater.
This is an opportunity to bring your transferrable experience and skills to the management of waste operations in Leeds; the second largest Council in the UK.
On a day to day basis, most residents judge the success of our service simply on whether their bins have been collected or not. We typically empty over 60,000 wheely bins EVERY DAY in Leeds. That’s about a quarter of a million households every week. On average our collection success rate is around 99.5%.
Much of this of course is down to the hard work and dedication of our frontline crews, working in all extremes of weather and in challenging environments. But, there is also a lot of work that goes into the planning and delivery of each day’s collections, how issues that arise are overcome, and how our staff are managed and supported.
What we need from you:
- Working in partnership with Trade Unions, we have the ambition to become the best refuse service in the UK. How we lead, support and empower our workforce is key to that.
- You will be part of a wider team of Team Leaders supported by a Team Manager, and you will have a number of collection routes/crews or particular part of the service under your responsibility.
- As well as the day to day operational work, you will help resolve customer complaints, work with colleagues in other council services and occasionally attend residents meetings. An important part of the job is maintaining a good relationship with local Ward Councillors, working with them as local leaders and community contacts to help resolve issues and promote recycling.
- The service is fast paced and requires the Team Leader to be resilient, have good influencing and negotiation skills, a positive attitude and a flexible approach to day to day work.
- Above all you need to be able to get on with people, and be able to show how you will support staff so that you get the most out of them. We have just completed this year’s appraisals, and we asked operational staff to mark out of ten how much they enjoy their job – and the average score was just above 8/10. So that’s a good base to work from.
The job comes with significant benefits and reward; including an annual salary package (including enhancements) starting at £31,284 and rising to £33,115. In addition to this Leeds City Council will contribute towards your pension scheme. Holiday entitlement starts at 26 days a year, with a further 5 days added after 5 years’ service. In addition to that you will typically receive a further 23 days leave for the Saturday and Bank Holiday work you are required to undertake.
- You will need to be able to work a 3 week shift pattern which includes earlies (5.45am to 1.45pm), middles (7am to 3pm, but start finish time negotiable) and lates (9.30am to 5pm, or, 10am to 6pm).
- As the refuse service is delivered Monday to Saturday in Leeds, you will work 37 hours Monday to Friday but also be required to work about 19 Saturdays a year and bank holidays (for which you get a day off and the enhanced pay).
- There is flexibility in being able to swap days etc with other Team Leaders.
- You do not need any formal qualifications – an excellent work ethic, enthusiasm and ability to do the job is what we need. However, you will need to have a driving license and be able to drive a Council van.
Finally, we will be holding interviews during the week commencing 9th September – so you must be available for interview that week to apply.