The role of Head of Service (waste) is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction in the delivery of Waste Management services for the County Council, and to lead the transition towards a shared service with City of York Council.
You will act as client for both Councils in the transport and disposal of circa 450,000 tonnes of waste each year and operation of 20 household waste recycling centres on behalf of North Yorkshire County Council with a further two to be included when the joint service is formalised. You will also be responsible for leading a team in the development, management and operation of integrated service delivery models to meet the needs of both councils.
Supporting waste services are delivered through a highly innovative arrangement with the Council’s own waste management company, Yorwaste. You will be responsible for maintaining a productive relationship with Yorwaste such that the Councils are able to fully take advantage of the commercial expertise within the company and the opportunities of the long term contract.
As Head of Service (waste), you will demonstrate:
- A strong commercial acumen with the ability to maximise the services provided;
- Extensive experience of working in a senior position (public or private sector) within the waste management industry.
- Skilled negotiator, driving hard for value whilst maintaining excellent partnership relationships
- Experience of developing and implementing organisational culture change within a large diverse organisation
- Extensive experience of strategic planning, policy development and implementation, and performance management
For an informal discussion about this opportunity please contact Ian Fielding on 01609 532161.