The role of Head of Service (Resources and Waste) is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction in the delivery of waste management services for North Yorkshire County Council, and to lead the transition towards a shared service with City of York Council.
You will act as client for both councils in the transport and disposal of circa 450,000 tonnes of waste each year. You'll also be responsible for the operation of 20 household waste recycling centres on behalf of North Yorkshire County Council with a further two to be included when the joint service is formalised. You will also lead a team in the development, management and operation of integrated service delivery models to meet the needs of both councils.
Supporting waste services are delivered through a highly innovative arrangement with the council’s own waste management company, Yorwaste. You will be responsible for maintaining a productive relationship with Yorwaste such that the councils are able to fully take advantage of the commercial expertise within the company and the opportunities of the long-term contract.
As Head of Service (Resources and Waste), you will demonstrate:
- A strong commercial acumen, with the ability to maximise the services provided;
- Extensive experience of working in a senior position (public or private sector) within the waste management industry;
- Being a skilled negotiator, driving hard for value whilst maintaining excellent partnership relationships;
- Experience of developing and implementing organisational culture change within a large diverse organisation; and
- Extensive experience of strategic planning, policy development and implementation, and performance management.
Role: Head of Service (Resources and Waste)
Salary: circa £71k plus additional one-off payment of up to £6,600 and £8k relocation package available for exceptional candidates