We had a tremendous Celebration Awards this year, made all the better by the presence of Three Tenners - oh sorry that should be the Three Tenor Waiters - who provided both hilarious and wonderful singing. Their super set put us all in the perfect frame of mind to get together with the conference and celebration awards sponsors to celebrate the best in our industry. Phillip Ward had the unenviable job of following the tenors onto the stage to host and present the awards. Of course, only Phillip could follow that act - and with his wit and the talent of our winners - it was always going to be wonderful evening.
Andrew Bird, the LARAC Chair, was keen to praise the standard of the entries, affirming; "The standard of entries remains consistently high and shows that local authorities are meeting these challenging times head on in innovating ways. I am delighted that we are able to recognise these achievements and all the finalists did well to be shortlisted. It shows the talent and dedication within local authorities and their partners and how the world of recycling and resource management is constantly moving forward."
So, as they say: without further ado, the winners were ....
Best Communications Campaign - sponsored by Sita UK
- Winner: Cheshire West and Chester Council
- Shortlisted: Surrey County Council and Ealing Council
- Highly Commended: Eastleigh Borough Council
Best Partnership Award - sponsored by Viridor
- Winner: Durham County Council Reuse Forum
- Shortlisted: Blaby District Council with Mind and Buckinghamshire County Council Reuse Shops Partnership
Best Team of the Year- sponsored by Biffa
- Winner: Westminster City Council
- Shortlisted: Aberdeen City Council and Oxford City Council
Best Waste Minimisation or Prevention Project - sponsored by Repic
- Winner: The Greater London Authority
- Shortlisted:Bath and North East Somerset and North London Waste Authority
Best New Idea- sponsored by Hadfield
- Winner: Falkirk Council
- Shortlisted:Hart District Council and The Waste Regulations Working Group
Recycling Officer of the Year - sponsored by Countrystyle Recycling
- Winner: Emily Martin, Oxford City Council
- Shortlisted: Dave Sexton, Joint Waste Team Chiltern and Wycombe District Councils and Lynn Struve, Wirral Council