Issues for discussion at this conference include:
- Waste policy - next steps following the Government responses to the recent suite of consultations, including:
- Consistency in Household and Business Recycling Collections in England;
- Introducing a Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland;
- UK packaging producer responsibility system; and
- A plastic packaging tax.
- Recycling and reprocessing - the way forward for expansion of UK capacity;
- Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) - developing new systems for the wider sector, including Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE); and
- Collections of household and business waste across England - overcoming barriers to consistency.
There will be keynote addresses from: Peter Maddox, Director, WRAP UK; Chris Preston, Deputy Director, Resources and Waste, Defra; Andy Rees, Head of Waste Strategy, Welsh Government and a senior speaker confirmed from The Scottish Government.
Further speakers include: Susanne Baker, Associate Director, Climate, Environment and Sustainability, TechUK and Chair, Joint Trade Association; Steve Longdon, Regional Director, FCC Environment; Dr Adam Read, External Affairs Director, Suez UK and Dr Anna Willetts, Senior Associate, Clyde & Co and Junior Vice President, CIWM.
- Next steps for implementing the Resource and Waste Strategy;
- Standardising dry material collections, separating waste streams and implications for businesses;
- Introducing deposit return schemes - examining business led approaches, implications for local authorities and changing consumer habits;
- Extending EPR into wider policy, increasing capacity for reprocessing and connecting with external industries; and
- Government priorities for future waste policy.
- From Wales - progress in providing consistency in waste collection from the Collections Blueprint; and
- From Scotland - the national circular economy and creating a deposit return scheme.